This post may contain affiliate links.
Breakfast on the road is one topic where James and I actually agree. We both love cooking breakfast outside on our RV trips. Everything tastes a billion times better when it’s cooked in the great outdoors, ESPECIALLY first thing in the morning. There’s just nothing like a cup of joe outside on a crisp, cool morning and the smell of something fantastic grilling away. It’s the perfect way to start the day.
We’re just back from a trip to Jordanelle State Park in Utah…just outside of Park City and very deserving of a spot on your Places To Visit list. We were there hoping to do some paddleboarding, but alas, Mother Nature was not kind. Still, we made the most of the trip and had a great time regardless. One morning, we busted out a Burnie grill and made these super fantastic and healthy Berry Oat Muffins with Orange Coconut yogurt sauce; oh my! They turned out so spectacular I had to share the recipe. And since you grill them in orange peels, they’re so fun to make! You can see the video of me making them here:
If you’ve never grilled in orange peels before, you definitely should give it a try. You can use either a grill or a campfire (or heck, even an oven), they aren’t picky. And any muffin recipe would work, or you can even get creative with omelets or even orange chicken & rice inside the orange peels (will be sharing that recipe soonly). The orange peels insulate the food being cooked, and leave a subtle orange flavor to whatever you’re cooking. And the medium-sized Burnie grill worked great for cooking two at a time:
Stef’s Grilled Healthy Berry Oat Muffins in Orange Peels with Orange Coconut Sauce:
(That has GOT to be the longest recipe title EVER.)
- 4 large or 6 medium oranges
- 1 ½ cups oats
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange pulp (scooped out from your oranges)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup fresh berries (or 1/3 cup dried)
- Cut oranges in half and use a spoon to scoop out all the insides. Reserve two tablespoons of the insides (one for your muffin batter and one for your sauce). The rest can be discarded, eaten, or juiced.
- Mix all other ingredients together.
- Fill one of the orange peel halves all the way up with the batter. Take the top half of the orange and place it over the top of the batter-filled orange peel. Wrap the orange in 2 layers of aluminum foil. Repeat this for each of your oranges.
- Place the aluminum foil wrapped oranges on your grill or directly on your campfire. Turn frequently. Grill for around 30 minutes or so…might take much less time for a very hot and big campfire.
- 6 oz container coconut yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange pulp
- Mix together in a bowl.
- Spoon over cooked muffins.
Don’t forget to check out the video! You can get a “taste” of what breakfast on the road looks like in The Fit RV.
AND! You can even join us for breakfast! Our shakedown cruise with our new RV is a 4 day group tour through the Midwest this July 2015. Come with us! You’ll be the first to see our pimped out “concept” Travato, which we’re picking up right before the trip. And if you ask me nice, I could probably be convinced to make you some Campfire Muffins in oranges….