This post may contain affiliate links.
Well, it’s been 24 hours since our RV, “Das Bus” pulled away for the last time, with the new owners behind the wheel. I’ll admit it, James and I are a little lost today. Before he left on his 70+ mile bike ride this morning, he asked, “Can you make that yummy Thai chicken salad today?” It’s definitely a summer version of a “comfort” food, so I’m pretty sure that’s why he requested it…needing a little comfort as we adjust to life post-Das Bus.
The salad is quite popular here at The (RV-less) Fit RV headquarters. Incredibly flavorful and filling, and yet so nutrient-dense you’re left satisfied and satiated without the guilt of typical comfort food.
And since you don’t cook a thing in this recipe, it’s also a great option for making in the RV. I especially love that we get about 3 meals out of it, since it makes 6 hefty servings. Prep once for 3 meals, now that’s my kind of healthy RV cooking.
Healthy Thai Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 bag (14 oz) coleslaw cabbage mix
- 1 can (13 oz) shredded chicken breast (or 1 2/3 cups grilled & shredded chicken)
- 1 bag (10-12 oz) frozen shelled edamame (AKA “mukimame”)
- 1 whole cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews (optional, could even use peanuts)
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Optional (if you like it spicy): 1-2 tablespoons Thai Chili Garlic Paste
1. Toss all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. In smaller bowl, whisk all sauce ingredients together.
3. Pour sauce over salad, toss well, and serve.
And here’s the finished product, sitting on our kitchen counter in our house. But, it’s MUCH tastier in an RV…sigh…