Did you know I taught PE in the public school system for well over a decade? Yep. It’s true. Actually won a state award for it even once-upon-a-lifetime-ago. So, when it comes to fitness games with kids, I’m in my element. Kids love playing and moving and being physically active, that’s a no-brainer. You know what else they love? When you, the adults they adore, play and move and be physically active with them. Exercising with your little ones is a great way to interact, spend quality time, AND instill that fitness can be fun. There are about a billion exercises you can do together. In this video, I narrow it down to five:
You might remember grandgirl Amelia from James’ toilet paper test video. She was the very serious and attentive baby assisting James. James still calls her “Baby,” even though she’s a big preschooler these days. Amelia’s making her Fit RV comeback in this video, and I had the time of my life filming this with her. But this video isn’t all just shamelessly showing-off how cute my grandgirl is (but come on isn’t she?!?). Really, this video is something I’ve wanted to share and encourage for some time. As grandparents and parents, it’s pretty common to have a little one or two along with us on our RV trips. Next time you’re camping with little ones, hope you’ll give these a try!
In the video you’ll see 5 exercises:
- Partner sit-ups with literacy play. Feet together, sitting with knees bent, perform situps. Clap hands together when you both sit up, and take turns either saying a letter in the alphabet (for preschool or littler), or spelling words, or counting by 2’s, 3’s, etc.
- Partner planked alternating claps. Get in a pushup position with your heads and arms facing each other. Alternate clapping your left hands together and then your right hands, while playing the same literacy games as in #1.
- Buddy Bomps. Grab a ball or pillow for tossing. Stand facing each other and toss the ball to your buddy, and then go down to the ground in a plank position and quickly back up. Then, it’s your buddy’s turn.
- Over Unders. Stand back to back…or if your buddy is REALLY short like mine was, the taller person kneels. Pass the ball or pillow overhead, and then under your legs.
- Twisters. Stand back to back, and kneel if the height difference is significant. Pass the ball to the side, and then rotate to the other side to retrieve the ball from your partner.
As a sidenote, I’ve got to share this cute story about Amelia. She’s in a theater class, and every so often I go watch her. She had an assignment a few weeks ago that she had to “instruct” the rest of the class about something, anything she wanted. She had a week to come up with her topic and script and practice her monologue. You know what she did? She decided to be like her “Mugga” and she demonstrated Fit RV exercises!!! She got up there with no fear, and had the class working on balances and yoga poses. Guys, my heart completely melted in a little puddle when I saw her pretending to be like me.
I’m going to eat it up while I can. Before we know it, she’ll be a teenager, embarrassed by her Fit RV videos and refusing to be in any more, lol!