This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commisson if you decide to make a purchase through them. There is no addtional cost to you.
One of the things we really like about Winnebago’s Touring Coach division is that they are continually improving and tweaking their various models. I’m sure this is exasperating to the typical RV salesperson, as it makes staying current challenging. But it’s GREAT for the RV consumer, because it means improvements and innovations come to market sooner rather than later – and you don’t necessarily have to wait a whole year to get a feature that interests you.
But every so often, the improvements are so substantial and far reaching that they can’t even really call it the same model anymore. That’s what’s happened here with the Era 170M. Have a look:
For the last few years, Winnebago had offered the Era 170C, which was the only Sprinter based RV with a slide room. When it was time to refresh that model, they put in a much larger Murphy bed (in addition to a bunch of other improvements). Taken together, this changed things up enough that they retired the 170C, and are now moving forward with this floor plan. If you saw our previous video on the Era series, the Puffer Fish model is gone now, and replaced with this “Super Puffer Fish”. Winnebago, ummmm… doesn’t share our naming vision…, and so they’re sticking with 170M.
Besides the aforementioned electric Murphy bed and slide room, these are the features that stood out to me on this model:
- Large tanks – 44 gallons of fresh water! The largest across the Era line.
- Multiplex wiring – we’re seeing more and more of this, and we like it.
- 3 burner stove top with counter top extension – Gourmets rejoice!
- Large compressor refrigerator – much better refrigeration technology than absorption.
- Truma Combi for heat and hot water.
- Palatial bathroom (best you’ll find in a class B).
- Cabinets reinforced with aluminum frames! Seriously heavy duty.
- Large rear storage area.
I’m sure I’m leaving something out, but that’s OK! At about 20 minutes in length, there’s no way I could bullet list everything in the video – you’ll just have to watch. So grab yourself a beverage and settle in. It’s Super Puffer Fish time!